Senior Upcoming Events
(read the Senior Letter for details)
|Now||Cap & Gown Information please call Achievers 408-441-7200 or visit www.graduationorder.com|
|Now||Senior Project information available in the Main Office. Earn up to 15 credits!|
|May||Two Free Tickets: Beginning in May, All graduating seniors get two free bowl tickets for the graduationceremony. Before they can pick up their tickets, students need to complete a Senior Exit Report.|
|May TBD||Additional Tickets: Tickets will be on sale up to and during graduation, as long as they last. Starting May TBD, tickets will be sold through the Cal Performances box office at UC Berkeley; online at http://tickets.berkeley.edu/ by phone at 510.642.9988, and in person at the Zellerbach Hall (cross street Bancroft & Dana).There is a limit of THREE BOWL TICKETS per purchase for the first week. Prices: Bowl Regular Price $21; Bowl Reduced price $15; Lawn Regular Price $7; Lawn Reduced price $7.Box office and phone hours are Tuesday-Friday, 12 p.m.-5:30 p.m., and Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-5 p.m. CLOSED MONDAY. Prices below reflect the 2015 graduation and are subject to increase.|
|June 17||Class of 2016 Graduation Day|
May 3, 2016
RE: Possible Failure to Meet Graduation Requirements
Dear Parent or Guardian:
BUSD requires 220 credits for graduation. If your student is receiving a grade of “D” or “F” they may
fail the class which would jeopardize their ability to graduate for insufficient credits and required
courses. Quarter 4 Progress reports will be distributed on Tuesday, May 10, 2016
At this time, teachers will be meeting with their students who are failing to let them know the
school work that is needed for academic success. If you have any questions, you may contact the
student’s teacher directly at the emails listed below.
- firstname.lastname@example.org Math Dept
- email@example.com RSP/ English Dept
- firstname.lastname@example.org CTE/Economics
- email@example.com Spanish
- firstname.lastname@example.org Math Dept
- email@example.com English Dept
- firstname.lastname@example.org Social Studies
- email@example.com English Dept
- firstname.lastname@example.org Science Dept
- email@example.com Teacher Librarian/ROP
If further information is needed feel free to contact me directly at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 510-644-4597.
Ms. Clark, B.S., M.Ed., PPS
No school on the following days:
Monday, May 16th, Monday, May 30th, Monday, July 4th
Students are in class from 8:45 am until 3:30 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
Wednesdays class schedule 8:45am until 1:20pm
To report an absence please call the Attendance Office at (510) 644-6215
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- May 12th – School Governance Council Meeting at 5pm & PTSA SENIOR CELEBRATION @ 6pm
- NO SCHOOL – May 16th and May 30th
- June 4th – AFAM-Studies Graduation at 1pm BHS Community Theatre. Seniors must arrive at 12:30pm
- June 11th – Chicano/Latino Graduation @ St. Ambrose church 12:30pm followed by reception at BHS
- SENIOR PROJECT INFORMATION IN THE OFFICE!! Earn up to 15 credits!!
- FINALS SCHEDULE 6/13-6/17
- LAST DAY OF SCHOOL: JUNE 17, 2016
- June 17th – Senior Graduation Ceremony 5pm-8pm @ UC Berkeley Greek Theatre
- Library Inventory is scheduled for June 7 – June 17.
Seniors your diploma will be held if fines are due.
Still have BHS textbooks checked out? Worried about the fines? Bring your textbooks, library books and English novels to Ms. Sperske in the Library as soon as possible. All BHS textbooks accepted. She will work with you to clear your fines and return the books to BHS.
- SUMMER SCHOOL BEGINS: JUNE 27 – JULY 22
Summer School begins at 8:15am – 3:05pm each day.
Summer school will be held at BHS. Students are expected to be in class, ready to work at 8:15am.
For more information Please visit our website @ http://bta.berkeleyschools.net/
Cap & Gown Information please call Achievers 408-441-7200 or visit www.graduationorder.com
Two Free Tickets: Beginning in May, All graduating seniors get two free bowl tickets for the graduation ceremony. Before they can pick up their tickets, students need to complete a Senior Exit Report.
Additional Tickets: Tickets will be on sale up to and during graduation, as long as they last. Starting May TBD, tickets will be sold through the Cal Performances box office at UC Berkeley; online at http://tickets.berkeley.edu/ by phone at 510.642.9988, and in person at the Zellerbach Hall (cross street Bancroft & Dana). There is a limit of THREE BOWL TICKETS per purchase for the first week.
Prices: Bowl Regular Price $21; Bowl Reduced price $15; Lawn Regular Price $7; Lawn Reduced price $7.
Box office and phone hours are Tuesday-Friday, 12 p.m.-5:30 p.m., and Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-5 p.m. CLOSED MONDAY. Prices below reflect the 2015 graduation and are subject to increase.
BERKELEY TECHNOLOGY ACADEMY WOULD LIKE TO WISH YOU A VERY HAPPY AND SAFE SUMMER…CONGRATULATIONS CLASS OF 2016!!
No school on the following days:
Monday, March 28th – Friday, April 1st SPRING RECESS
Students are in class from
- 8:45 am until 3:30 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
- Wednesdays class schedule 8:45am until 1:20pm
To report an absence please call the Attendance Office at (510)644-6215
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- March 14th – Senior Prom Tickets on Sale:$75.00
- TBD – Parent Meeting in the MPR 6pm – 7:30pm. Come out to discuss your student’s grades & graduation expectations.
- March 24th & 25th Quarter 3 Finals Schedule – Minimum Day Release at 1:20pm
|Thursday 3/24/16||Friday 3/25/16|
|Block 1||8:45 – 10:45||Block 3||8:45 – 10:45|
|Lunch||10:45 – 11:25||Lunch||10:45 – 11:25|
|Block 2||11:30 – 1:20||Block 4||11:30 – 1:20|
- March 28th – April 4th – SPRING BREAK – NO SCHOOL!!
- If you are interested in returning to BHS next school year 2015/16, please sign up in the office. Ms. Clark will set up a meeting with you.
- March 14th – 2:30pm – 3:30pm Senior Informational Meeting at BHS in the Community Theatre. Prom Tickets go on sale. Please check with Erica in the office.
- April 16th – Senior Ball at the Scottish Rite Temple 8pm-12am. Tickets go on sale MARCH 14th Prices start at $75.00. Prices subject to increase on APRIL 4th. If you are bringing a Guest to Prom please complete and return ALL Guest Passes to the front office no later than April 13th. Dr. Quintana must approve all students who would like to attend. There will be no tickets sold at BTA after April 13th. There will be NO TICKET SALES AT THE PROM.
- SENIOR PROJECT INFORMATION IN THE OFFICE!! Earn up to 15 credits!!
FAFSA Deadline: March 2nd, 2016
Financial aid, also known as FAFSA, helps students and their families pay for college education. Every student should apply for financial aide because it is FREE money. Everyone is able to receive financial aid assistance. Doesn’t matter if our parent’s income are low or high, or if you have low grades. BTA is hosting workshops to guide students and families through this important application:
Tuesday Feb 3rd, 2016 at 1:20pm in RM 128
Wednesday Feb 16th, 2016 at 3:30pm in RM 128
Must have all of the following information with you to complete the FAFSA application:
o Legal Name
o Social Security #
o Students W2 (work stubs)
o Banking info (savings, checking)
o Parents Legal name
o Parents email address
Flyer: 16-17 BTA FAFSA Workshop
Learn about colleges, scholarships, campus life and more at the Black College Expo, open to all students.
Students must transport themselves to the event but tickets are covered by BTA: Oakland City Center Marriott 1001 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94607; BART Station 12th Street/Oakland City Center
For more information: http://thecollegeexpo.org/misc/oakland-college-expo
BERKELEY HIGH & BERKELEY TECHNOLOGY ACADEMY – SENIOR ACTIVITIES
Calendar of Major Events
September to June – Order or get a loaner cap & gown from Achievers Inc.
Prices increase in January
Fall 2015 – College application deadlines, SAT/ACT testing.
More info in the College & Career Center at BHS
March 14 – April 15 – Senior Prom tickets are on sale during lunch & after-school.
March 14 2:45 – 3:30 pm – Senior Class Informational Meeting in Community Theater at BHS.
April 16 8 pm -12 am – Senior Prom will be held in Oakland at the Scottish Rites Center.
May – Graduation ticket info to be sent via E-tree, bulletin, email and BTA website.
June 16 1:00 – 1:30 pm – Graduation Rehearsal in Community Theater. All Seniors must attend!
June 17 9:00 – 11:00 am – Graduation Rehearsal at the Greek Theater. All Seniors attend!
June 17 5:30 – 8:30 pm – Graduation expected to be at the Greek Theater. Doors open at 4:30 pm.
Small Learning Community Graduations & Cultural Celebrations
Final Week of School Seniors are expected to be in all classes during the final days of school.
Outstanding Debts & Book Fines Students must clear all financial obligations (including book debts, athletic equipment, etc.) to the school prior to obtaining graduation and/or Senior Prom tickets and receiving a diploma. Check with Ms. Sperske in the library for information.
Seniors won’t receive their High School Diplomas until they return all their textbooks and library books back to the library.
Please Note Seniors may not be allowed to participate in school activities if any of the following apply:
Prom 2016 Date: Saturday, April 16, 2016
Location: Scottish Rite Center 1547 Lakeside Drive, Oakland, CA 94612
Time: 8:00 pm–12:00am – Doors close at 9:30pm – No in & out privileges for any reason.
Parking: Please visit http://www.scottrite.com/contact.html for directions and parking suggestions.
1. Attire: This is a formal event. Dress should be appropriate and not disruptive. Students who dress in an inappropriate manner will not be admitted.
2. Tickets: Beginning March 14, Senior Prom Tickets are on sale starting TBD for $TBD in the Leadership Office at lunch and after school. Tickets will be sold Monday through Friday. The ticket price will increase each week, so please buy early. Students in the free and reduced lunch program can purchase tickets at $TBD. Please show proof of eligibility at the time of purchase. Cash or check are payable to “BHS ASB”. Tickets will also be available on www.bhsprom2016.brownpapertickets.com
3. Guest Passes and Contracts: Non-BHS Guest Passes must be submitted when tickets are purchased. Only guests 20 years of age or younger will be admitted to the Senior Prom. The BHS Dance Conduct Policy will be strictly enforced. The last day guest passes are accepted will be April 11. Passes are available in the Leadership Office.
4. Sobriety: For your safety, any student suspected of being under the influence or in possession of an illegal or controlled substance, either when arriving or during the Prom, will have his/her parents/guardians notified and will be required to leave the premises. Parents/Guardians will be responsible for picking the student up and all school policies/consequences will be enforced.
CAP & GOWN INFORMATION
Issuance of Class Rings, Graduation Announcements, and Cap & Gowns will be in BTA Main Office Tuesday, April 19, 2016
On June 17, ACHIEVERS will be at the UC Berkeley Greek Theatre from 10am to 9pm to take care of any last minute cap/gown issues. Seniors can order their cap/gown order at any of the event dates listed.
1. Beginning with the Class of 2016, seniors will have their choice of color, red or gold, at the time of purchase.
2. Each gown will be marked with the student’s name. Be sure that you have a gown, cap and tassel in your package.
3. Purchased caps and gowns are individuals’ to keep and do not need to be returned. Please consider donating your cap & gown to the Main Office for use by a future graduate.
4. Decorations can only be applied to the top of the cap. Decorated gowns will not be allowed in the ceremony.
5. Please contact Achievers Inc. at 408.441.7200 if you have any questions.
Cap, Gown, and Tassel Loaner Program Achievers Inc. and BUSD have agreed to begin a loaner program for cap, gown, and tassel loaner for seniors to wear during the commencement ceremony. Please understand that per Berkeley Unified School District’s (BUSD) requirements, this cap, gown, and tassel, must be returned immediately following the ceremony. Under Ed Code section 48904, failure to return each of these three items (cap/gown/tassel) may result in the student’s diploma being held by BUSD and not being issued until the District has received payment for these items. In order to set up a loaner, please visit www.graduationorder.com and enter the code bhs510. You will select “Loan” after logging into the website. Please return your loaner cap, gown and tassel immediately following the ceremony. If you forget to return your loaner cap, gown, and tassel after graduation ends, please return these items to the main office at BTA the following week.
If all graduation requirements are met, your diploma should be mailed during the 1st week of July 2016. You will need to provide your SUMMER MAILING ADDRESS if different from the one currently on file at Berkeley Tech. You will need to provide the updated address to the Main office at lunchtime and after school (ONLY) until 3:45pm, Monday through Friday from now until June 16, 2016.
If you do not receive your diploma during the summer of 2016, you will need to come to the Main office at BTA starting the month of September, in the event it was returned or diploma being held due to debts.
GRADUATION: TICKETS ARE NOT ON SALE UNTIL MAY 2016. ALL INFO BELOW IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Date: Friday, June 17
Time: 5:30 pm ~ 8:30 pm. Doors open around 4:30 pm.
Location: UC Berkeley Greek Theater. 2001 Gayley Rd. Berkeley, CA 94720.
Parking: Please visit http://calperformances.org/visit/venues/greek.php for parking and directions.
Two Free Tickets: Beginning in May, All graduating seniors get two free bowl tickets for the graduation ceremony. These can be picked up from the Main Office. Before they can pick up their tickets, students need to complete a Senior Exit Report located on the website & clear any book fees.
Additional Tickets: Tickets will be on sale up to and during graduation, as long as they last. Starting Early May, tickets will be sold through the Cal Performances box office at UC Berkeley; online at http://tickets.berkeley.edu/, by phone at 510.642.9988 and in person at the Zellerbach Hall (cross street Bancroft & Dana). There is a limit of THREE BOWL TICKETS per purchase for the first week.
Box office and phone hours are Tuesday-Friday, 12 p.m.-5:30 p.m., and Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-5 p.m. CLOSED MONDAY.
Every person attending, regardless of age, must have a ticket for entrance.
Ticket Prices TBA
Bowl Regular Price $??; Bowl Reduced price $??;
Lawn Regular Price $?; Lawn Reduced price $??
Discount codes will be available starting May 2016. The discount code must be presented at the time of purchase to receive the discounted price. Students purchasing tickets with a discount code can purchase a limit of five tickets at the discounted price and must buy their tickets at ZellerbachHall in person. (See above)
ADA Seating: The doors to the Greek Theater are scheduled to open by 4:30 pm for ADA seats first and then for general seating. Guests can be dropped off at the North Gate
1. ADA seating is available upon request at the time of ticket purchase. ADA patrons may purchase one ADA seat and one companion seat per disabled individual.
Graduation Day On Friday, June 17, seniors will report promptly to the Greek Theatre by 4:30 pm to line up for graduation. There will be considerable traffic congestion just before graduation, so it is recommended that students allow themselves an extra margin of time.
1. Caps and gowns must be worn at graduation.
2. Gifts and flowers should not be given to students prior to the ceremony due to lack of security.
3. Any student who engages in disruptive behavior during the ceremony, inflatable balls, etc. will be warned and then escorted from the graduate section if not compliant.
Shuttle Bus & Parking There are no designated parking areas for students or families at the Greek Theater, even for disabled parking. It is strongly recommended that you do not attempt to drive and park near the Greek theater up Hearst Street or onto Gayley Street as traffic congestion will be heavy. There will be shuttle buses running between BHS and the Greek Theater. Shuttles are scheduled to begin at 3:30 pm, picking up passengers at the corner of Milvia and Kittredge. Last shuttle back down is around 8:30 – 9:00 pm. It is also possible to walk from Downtown BART up to Greek Theater.
(*Participation in a small school or departmental ceremony is not a guarantee that the student has indeed met all requirements necessary for graduation or that the student will be eligible to participate in the large school commencement exercises.)
Senior Awards Ceremony The Senior Awards Ceremony is TBD. This evening is one of recognition for scholarships and awards students have received. Students, parents and guests are invited to attend. Further information will be available at a later date.
Behavior Reminder We would like to finish this year on the same positive note that we have had all year, and we would like to remind seniors of a few behavior expectations:
1. After the Senior Meeting, seniors who violate any school policy that causes an out-of-school suspension will forfeit all rights for participating in graduation activities, including the Senior Prom.
2. Sobriety: For reasons of safety, any student suspected of being under the influence at any event will have his/her parents/guardians notified. Parents/Guardians will be responsible for picking the student up.
Yearbooks: Yearbooks can be ordered online at www.yearbookordercenter.com or in person in C327. Sales of yearbook typically begin in September and continue all the way until May. Yearbook distribution can be expected in the weeks leading up until Graduation. Mr. Berent at BHS is the Yearbook Advisor.
Senior Portraits Please contact ABC School Portraits about setting up an appointment. They visit the school on a regular basis during the fall for pictures after school. Visit www.abcschoolportraits.com or call 707.297.7304 for the latest information. There may be a deadline to get a senior portrait into the school yearbook, so try to schedule an appointment before January 1, 2016.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact the Main Office at 510.644.6159
THIS DOCUMENT WILL BE UPDATED PERIODICALLY WITH INFORMATION AS IT IS RECEIVED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE. THE FINAL VERSION OF THIS DOCUMENT WILL BE CREATED IN LATE APRIL.
Apply for Free Meals and Bring Funding to Our Schools
Our school district participates in the National School Lunch and Breakfast Program, providing nutritious low-cost or free meals every school day. Breakfast is free for all students, and over 40% of our students are also eligible to receive lunch at no cost through the “free/reduced price meal program.”
We ask every BUSD family to complete the application for free/reduced price meals online at https://secure.ezmealapp.com. Even if your student does not intend to take advantage of the free lunch program, every qualified application is counted towards bringing additional federal (Title I) and state (LCFF/LCAP) funding to our schools.
Households may complete and submit a family application at any time during the school year. Paper forms are also available at your school office. For assistance or any questions about completing forms, please contact the Office of Family Equity and Engagement at 644-8991.
- CAHSEE EXAMS FOR SENIORS ONLY ON OCTOBER 6th and 7th SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
- UC and CSU application deadline is November 30, 2015, for more information please contact Counselor, Ms. Clark.
- SAT & ACT testing dates are located in the office in front of Ms. Clark’s door.
- For College Information please visit:http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-center/
SAT and Subject Tests
Register online atwww.collegeboard.org. Check website for complete listing of test dates.
SAT Test Dates:
Test date: Sept. 12 Regular Registration Deadline: Aug 7
Test date: Oct. 24 Regular Registration Deadline: Sept. 18
Test date: Dec. 12 Regular Registration Deadline: Nov. 6
Register online atwww.acstudent.org. Check website for complete listing of test dates.
ACT Test Dates:
Test date: Oct. 3 Regular Registration Deadline: Sept. 3
Test date: Nov. 7 Regular Registration Deadline: Oct. 9
Test date: Dec. 5 Regular Registration Deadline: Nov. 5
- If you are interested in Senior Portraits Gift Prints Photography will be on site 11/18/15 at 1:30pm.
- ABC Harrell also offers Senior Portraits you can sign up online at www.abcschoolportraits.com.
- Graduation Announcement Package information will be held on September 24th @ 10:25am in the MPR
- Recently, you may have received a letter/information regarding the Grad Nite event with USA Student Travel. This event is NOT SPONSORED by any member of the faculty or administration of Berkeley Technology Academy. All questions should be directed towards USA Student Travel at 1-800-234-4723.