BERKELEY HIGH & BERKELEY TECHNOLOGY ACADEMY – SENIOR ACTIVITIES
Calendar of Major Events
September to June – Order or get a loaner cap & gown from Achievers Inc.
Prices increase in January
Fall 2015 – College application deadlines, SAT/ACT testing.
More info in the College & Career Center at BHS
March 14 – April 15 – Senior Prom tickets are on sale during lunch & after-school.
March 14 2:45 – 3:30 pm – Senior Class Informational Meeting in Community Theater at BHS.
April 16 8 pm -12 am – Senior Prom will be held in Oakland at the Scottish Rites Center.
May – Graduation ticket info to be sent via E-tree, bulletin, email and BTA website.
June 16 1:00 – 1:30 pm – Graduation Rehearsal in Community Theater. All Seniors must attend!
June 17 9:00 – 11:00 am – Graduation Rehearsal at the Greek Theater. All Seniors attend!
June 17 5:30 – 8:30 pm – Graduation expected to be at the Greek Theater. Doors open at 4:30 pm.
Small Learning Community Graduations & Cultural Celebrations
➢ June TBD – African American Studies Graduation – Contact Naomi Washington
➢ June 4 – Chicano Latino Celebration – Contact Leticia Amezcua
➢ June TBD – Asian Celebration – Contact Dana Moran
➢ June TBD – Senior Awards Ceremony. Contact Ms. Clark
Final Week of School Seniors are expected to be in all classes during the final days of school.
➢ June 15 – 1:15 – 1:45 pm Mandatory Senior Graduation Rehearsal in the Community Theater
➢ June 17 – 9:00 – 11:00 am – Graduation Rehearsal at the UCB Greek Theater.
➢ All seniors who plan to participate in the graduation MUST be present at BOTH rehearsals.
➢ June 17 – 5:30 pm-8:00pm – Graduation at the UCB Greek Theater. Please arrive by 4:30 pm!!!
Outstanding Debts & Book Fines Students must clear all financial obligations (including book debts, athletic equipment, etc.) to the school prior to obtaining graduation and/or Senior Prom tickets and receiving a diploma. Check with Ms. Sperske in the library for information.
Seniors won’t receive their High School Diplomas until they return all their textbooks and library books back to the library.
Please Note Seniors may not be allowed to participate in school activities if any of the following apply:
➢ 30 or more period unverified absences for any class from September 2, 2015, – February 29, 2016.
➢ Suspension for any discipline matter (For Senior Prom, this policy will be in effect after March 1).
➢ Textbook or library book debts for books not being used this semester. Families will be mailed a list of books that have not been returned.
Prom 2016 Date: Saturday, April 16, 2016
Location: Scottish Rite Center 1547 Lakeside Drive, Oakland, CA 94612
Time: 8:00 pm–12:00am – Doors close at 9:30pm – No in & out privileges for any reason.
Parking: Please visit http://www.scottrite.com/contact.html for directions and parking suggestions.
1. Attire: This is a formal event. Dress should be appropriate and not disruptive. Students who dress in an inappropriate manner will not be admitted.
2. Tickets: Beginning March 14, Senior Prom Tickets are on sale starting TBD for $TBD in the Leadership Office at lunch and after school. Tickets will be sold Monday through Friday. The ticket price will increase each week, so please buy early. Students in the free and reduced lunch program can purchase tickets at $TBD. Please show proof of eligibility at the time of purchase. Cash or check are payable to “BHS ASB”. Tickets will also be available on www.bhsprom2016.brownpapertickets.com
3. Guest Passes and Contracts: Non-BHS Guest Passes must be submitted when tickets are purchased. Only guests 20 years of age or younger will be admitted to the Senior Prom. The BHS Dance Conduct Policy will be strictly enforced. The last day guest passes are accepted will be April 11. Passes are available in the Leadership Office.
4. Sobriety: For your safety, any student suspected of being under the influence or in possession of an illegal or controlled substance, either when arriving or during the Prom, will have his/her parents/guardians notified and will be required to leave the premises. Parents/Guardians will be responsible for picking the student up and all school policies/consequences will be enforced.
CAP & GOWN INFORMATION
Issuance of Class Rings, Graduation Announcements, and Cap & Gowns will be in BTA Main Office Tuesday, April 19, 2016
On June 17, ACHIEVERS will be at the UC Berkeley Greek Theatre from 10am to 9pm to take care of any last minute cap/gown issues. Seniors can order their cap/gown order at any of the event dates listed.
1. Beginning with the Class of 2016, seniors will have their choice of color, red or gold, at the time of purchase.
2. Each gown will be marked with the student’s name. Be sure that you have a gown, cap and tassel in your package.
3. Purchased caps and gowns are individuals’ to keep and do not need to be returned. Please consider donating your cap & gown to the Main Office for use by a future graduate.
4. Decorations can only be applied to the top of the cap. Decorated gowns will not be allowed in the ceremony.
5. Please contact Achievers Inc. at 408.441.7200 if you have any questions.
Cap, Gown, and Tassel Loaner Program Achievers Inc. and BUSD have agreed to begin a loaner program for cap, gown, and tassel loaner for seniors to wear during the commencement ceremony. Please understand that per Berkeley Unified School District’s (BUSD) requirements, this cap, gown, and tassel, must be returned immediately following the ceremony. Under Ed Code section 48904, failure to return each of these three items (cap/gown/tassel) may result in the student’s diploma being held by BUSD and not being issued until the District has received payment for these items. In order to set up a loaner, please visit www.graduationorder.com and enter the code bhs510. You will select “Loan” after logging into the website. Please return your loaner cap, gown and tassel immediately following the ceremony. If you forget to return your loaner cap, gown, and tassel after graduation ends, please return these items to the main office at BTA the following week.
If all graduation requirements are met, your diploma should be mailed during the 1st week of July 2016. You will need to provide your SUMMER MAILING ADDRESS if different from the one currently on file at Berkeley Tech. You will need to provide the updated address to the Main office at lunchtime and after school (ONLY) until 3:45pm, Monday through Friday from now until June 16, 2016.
If you do not receive your diploma during the summer of 2016, you will need to come to the Main office at BTA starting the month of September, in the event it was returned or diploma being held due to debts.
GRADUATION: TICKETS ARE NOT ON SALE UNTIL MAY 2016. ALL INFO BELOW IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Date: Friday, June 17
Time: 5:30 pm ~ 8:30 pm. Doors open around 4:30 pm.
Location: UC Berkeley Greek Theater. 2001 Gayley Rd. Berkeley, CA 94720.
Parking: Please visit http://calperformances.org/visit/venues/greek.php for parking and directions.
Two Free Tickets: Beginning in May, All graduating seniors get two free bowl tickets for the graduation ceremony. These can be picked up from the Main Office. Before they can pick up their tickets, students need to complete a Senior Exit Report located on the website & clear any book fees.
Additional Tickets: Tickets will be on sale up to and during graduation, as long as they last. Starting Early May, tickets will be sold through the Cal Performances box office at UC Berkeley; online at http://tickets.berkeley.edu/, by phone at 510.642.9988 and in person at the Zellerbach Hall (cross street Bancroft & Dana). There is a limit of THREE BOWL TICKETS per purchase for the first week.
Box office and phone hours are Tuesday-Friday, 12 p.m.-5:30 p.m., and Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-5 p.m. CLOSED MONDAY.
Every person attending, regardless of age, must have a ticket for entrance.
Ticket Prices TBA
Bowl Regular Price $??; Bowl Reduced price $??;
Lawn Regular Price $?; Lawn Reduced price $??
Discount codes will be available starting May 2016. The discount code must be presented at the time of purchase to receive the discounted price. Students purchasing tickets with a discount code can purchase a limit of five tickets at the discounted price and must buy their tickets at ZellerbachHall in person. (See above)
ADA Seating: The doors to the Greek Theater are scheduled to open by 4:30 pm for ADA seats first and then for general seating. Guests can be dropped off at the North Gate
1. ADA seating is available upon request at the time of ticket purchase. ADA patrons may purchase one ADA seat and one companion seat per disabled individual.
Graduation Day On Friday, June 17, seniors will report promptly to the Greek Theatre by 4:30 pm to line up for graduation. There will be considerable traffic congestion just before graduation, so it is recommended that students allow themselves an extra margin of time.
1. Caps and gowns must be worn at graduation.
2. Gifts and flowers should not be given to students prior to the ceremony due to lack of security.
3. Any student who engages in disruptive behavior during the ceremony, inflatable balls, etc. will be warned and then escorted from the graduate section if not compliant.
Shuttle Bus & Parking There are no designated parking areas for students or families at the Greek Theater, even for disabled parking. It is strongly recommended that you do not attempt to drive and park near the Greek theater up Hearst Street or onto Gayley Street as traffic congestion will be heavy. There will be shuttle buses running between BHS and the Greek Theater. Shuttles are scheduled to begin at 3:30 pm, picking up passengers at the corner of Milvia and Kittredge. Last shuttle back down is around 8:30 – 9:00 pm. It is also possible to walk from Downtown BART up to Greek Theater.
(*Participation in a small school or departmental ceremony is not a guarantee that the student has indeed met all requirements necessary for graduation or that the student will be eligible to participate in the large school commencement exercises.)
Senior Awards Ceremony The Senior Awards Ceremony is TBD. This evening is one of recognition for scholarships and awards students have received. Students, parents and guests are invited to attend. Further information will be available at a later date.
Behavior Reminder We would like to finish this year on the same positive note that we have had all year, and we would like to remind seniors of a few behavior expectations:
1. After the Senior Meeting, seniors who violate any school policy that causes an out-of-school suspension will forfeit all rights for participating in graduation activities, including the Senior Prom.
2. Sobriety: For reasons of safety, any student suspected of being under the influence at any event will have his/her parents/guardians notified. Parents/Guardians will be responsible for picking the student up.
Yearbooks: Yearbooks can be ordered online at www.yearbookordercenter.com or in person in C327. Sales of yearbook typically begin in September and continue all the way until May. Yearbook distribution can be expected in the weeks leading up until Graduation. Mr. Berent at BHS is the Yearbook Advisor.
Senior Portraits Please contact ABC School Portraits about setting up an appointment. They visit the school on a regular basis during the fall for pictures after school. Visit www.abcschoolportraits.com or call 707.297.7304 for the latest information. There may be a deadline to get a senior portrait into the school yearbook, so try to schedule an appointment before January 1, 2016.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact the Main Office at 510.644.6159
THIS DOCUMENT WILL BE UPDATED PERIODICALLY WITH INFORMATION AS IT IS RECEIVED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE. THE FINAL VERSION OF THIS DOCUMENT WILL BE CREATED IN LATE APRIL.